Yesterday I came across these really cool bags made from leather scraps. Just like the leather scraps I craft with, these bags were made from factory scraps. If you don’t have access to scraps, you can recycle leather from old gloves (even baseball gloves), belts, wallets, boots and leather jackets. I have upcycled old clothes – like a thrift store bomber jacket or the leather tag on jeans – to make crafts and costumes in the past.
The awesome thing about leather is that you don’t need a lot of it to make a high quality project. Here are some examples!
5 Crafts made from Leather Scraps
1. Leather pendant made by Do!ts Magazin3 is made using paint, marker and grommets…and a little Piet Mondrian.
2. Leather Feathers – these were made by Sew Country Chick (earrings). Here’s a tip on making these: paint first then cut the fringe. Fun to say, fun to wear!
3. Suede Coffee Koozie: You can actually buy these for $5.95, but Reduction Rebels, I think we can sew these up no problem!
4. DIY leather Luggage Tags: Okay, if you are going to take that International vacation you’ve always wanted, you have to make these adorable leather luggage tags. Check out the tutorial from Créme de la Craft.
5. Leather Costume Props: This past Halloween my son wanted to be Clint Eastwood, The Man with No Name. I made him a leather cigar and leather tassels for his cowboy hat. He loved the cigar until almost every house he trick-or-treated at gave him a lecture on the dangers of smoking. Isn’t Halloween an excuse to be your alter-ego? My son was also carrying a toy gun. No lectures about guns. Ahh, I digress.
The debut DIY home decor ebook Rooms Repurposed: A Purposeful Home, A Purposeful Life