Just as we’re hitting the dog days of summer, it’s time to think about back to school. Take a look at your school supply list and double check it against our DIY back to school projects!
1. Sneaker or Gym bag: A simple drawstring bag is all you need to keep your sneakers, PE uniform and deodorant stick organized. Get the free sewing pattern here.
2. Pencils are likely on your back to school list, so why not make them super cute with custom pencil toppers you can make from fabric scraps! Get the tutorial here. Pencil toppers also make sweet teacher gifts.
3. Want a custom dictionary of common words that you often have trouble spelling? This makes for a useful desk accessory at home. All you need is a repurposed address book.
4. A desk is very important for back to school, because guess what, homework happens. As dreadful as it may be. Kids will need a proper place to get it done. Check out this classic school desk makeover for some back to school inspiration.
5. Since we’re talking about desks, and you may not have a vintage school desk in your basement, you may have an old baby changing table. This can be upcycled into a functional desk with very few modifications.
6. Be true to your school with a school spirit pennant. You can make a retro wool felt pennant very easily at home.
7. Our last DIY project for back to school is cloth napkins that parents can write messages on – kind of like Mad Libs. So not only does this reduce lunch waste, they’re fun and personal.
*Reminder: Take a photo of you child on the first day of school. Compare it to the photo of your child on the last day of school.