Holidays have always been a source of excitement, relaxed atmosphere, good times with the family and relatives who, if it wasn’t a holiday, you may not have had the chance to see. Unfortunately after the happy and care-free times come to an end, you have to go back to the normal daily routine and now you have one more thing to think about. The honor to perform the cleanup is yours but how can you deal with the disaster, your house turned out to be after the holidays?
Needless to say you are short of time and the thought itself that tomorrow is the first working day makes you feel even more tired and lethargic.
How to Organize Post Holiday Clean Up
Well, you have to start from somewhere, right? Performing the regular cleaning activities is a good idea. Here’s where to start:
- Gather all the leftovers from the holidays
- freeze everything you are not going to eat in the next few days
- dust the furnitures
- sanitize the bathtub and the tiles
- vacuum the carpets; check the carpets for any kinds of stains and treat them properly
- organize the toys your kids have scattered all around the house
- save time for going to the supermarket by using homemade cleaners that are not as toxic as the commercial ones. As an experienced housewife you already know about the amazing properties of the vinegar, the baking soda and the lemon.
- tackle big spills- for instance, you might have issues with, say melted wax on the table cloth but here’s a small trick- put an ice cube on the wax and peel it off prior to washing.
- Last, it’s time to take care of the decorations. Take them off the walls, curtains etc. and put them in their original boxes. Wrap them up with paper towels for extra safety. That’s the best way to preserve them till the next year. The Christmas tree and the ornaments should be neatly stored in the closet so make sure you have enough space in there.
There are some countries where the cleaning before the holidays is an old tradition. For example, the Japanese have such a practice as they consider that everything that is unnecessary or dirty should be left in the old year. The New Year is a new beginning so you have to get rid of everything you don’t really need. Well, even if your family don’t have such a tradition it might be really useful. Doing a cleanup before your guests arrive will make your house look nice and the cleaning after the holidays won’t be that hard.
Cleaning after holidays and going back to the normal way of life can be really annoying process. But don’t you think that the happy memories and the numerous smiles pays off? You might spend a couple of hours in cleaning and bringing the decent condition of your home back but nothing compares to the good times, the coziness, the family atmosphere and last but not least the joy of the gifts you have received.
The article is provided by GardenersMates Ltd.