1. A couple weeks before you’re sale, post your larger items on Craigslist, you’ll get more money for them if you sell them there. If it doesn’t sell on Craigslist, you won’t feel bad lowing the price for a quick sale at your garage sale.
2. Don’t forget to announce your garage sale on Craigslist – it’s free advertising
3. Have a clean garage. Even though it’s a garage sale, it’s still retail staging
4. Have your kids put up a lemonade stand. People sometimes feel awkward if they don’t buy something, but will happily give a kid a quarter for a refreshment
No kids? Have a “free” bin. If someone picks something up for free, they’ll likely buy something as well.
5. Don’t hold back. If you’re going to have a sale, really go to the depths of your house, shed, attic to get out the stuff you’re not using. Secondly, be emotionally okay with getting rid of the clothes and toys that your kids have outgrown. They’re not doing you any good, let someone else enjoy them.